Re: Password forgotten - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: Password forgotten
Date
List pgsql-general

On Tuesday, April 23, 2024, Arbol One <ArbolOne@hotmail.ca> wrote:

Hello.
In my Debian box, after entering this command to psql-16, psql -h localhost -U postgres

psql-16 asks for the password, which I have forgotten.
So I get this message:

psql: error: connection to server at "localhost" (::1), port 5432 failed: FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "postgres"
connection to server at "localhost" (::1), port 5432 failed: FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "postgres"

Is there a way I can retrieve this master password?

Nope.  You need to login using a method that doesn’t require a password then change the password.  See pg_hba.conf for authentication options.  Usually connecting via local and peer authentication is the default option.

David J.