Re: split_part for the last element - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: split_part for the last element
Date
Re: split_part for the last element  (Nikhil Benesch <nikhil.benesch@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Oct 23, 2020 at 8:47 AM Nikhil Benesch <nikhil.benesch@gmail.com> wrote:
Is there another option I'm missing? Would there be interest in
extending split part so that negative indices counted from the end, as
in:

    split_part('foo bar baz', ' ', -1) -> 'baz'

Some thoughts:

I'm torn here because this would be the first usage of this concept in PostgreSQL (I think).

Tangentially, I noticed that we have a "starts_with" function but no corresponding "end_with".

It's been a while but there used to be a systemic inertia working against adding minor useful functions such as these.

With the new documentation layout I would at least consider updating the description for the normal functions with an example on how to formulate an expression that works contra-normally, and in the case where there does exist such a specialized function, naming it.

David J.