Re: [GENERAL] Using Substitution Variables In PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Using Substitution Variables In PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 7:08 AM, Osahon Oduware <osahon.gis@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi All,

I wanted to find out how to use a substitution variable in an SQL statement that would cause the user to be prompted for a value. Something similar to the ampersand (&&) in ORACLE.

For example, given the SQL statement below:
    SELECT <col1>,<col2>,<col3>
    FROM <table>
    WHERE <col5> = 35

I want the user to be prompted for the value in the WHERE (filter) clause, e.g.
    SELECT <col1>,<col2>,<col3>
    FROM <table>
    WHERE <col5> = ?

I would be glad if someone could point me in the right direction.

​That would be a client-side feature.  The only client supported on this list is psql.  psql does not have this capability.  It does have the "\prompt" ​meta-command which will serve in this specific case.

\prompt 'Enter a value for varname' varname

SELECT ... WHERE <col5> = :'varname';

David J.