Re: BUG #18065: An error occurred when attempting to add a column of type "vector" to a table named "vector". - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: BUG #18065: An error occurred when attempting to add a column of type "vector" to a table named "vector".
Date
List pgsql-bugs

On Tuesday, August 22, 2023, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 22, 2023, PG Bug reporting form <noreply@postgresql.org>
> wrote:
>> When I run:
>> create table if not exists "vector" ();
>> alter table "vector" add column if not exists "fz_vector1_embedding"
>> vector(1536);
>> I got an error:
>> ERROR:  type modifier is not allowed for type "vector"
>> LINE 1: ..." add column if not exists "fz_vector1_embedding" vector(153...

> You are in the wrong place, core doesn’t have this type.

I think it's basically a search path problem: the table's composite type
"vector" is masking the extension's type.  Try schema-qualifying "vector"
with the appropriate schema name.

Right.  Though my conclusion is this is why you don’t name a table something as generic as “vector”.  But still one should schema-qualify their use of extension types anyway.

David J.