Re: psql - pager support - using invisible chars for signalling endof report - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: psql - pager support - using invisible chars for signalling endof report
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 5:12 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> pá 24. 4. 2020 v 21:33 odesílatel Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> napsal:
>> And what will happen when those characters are in the data?

> It will be used on pager side as signal so previous rows was really last
> row of result, and new row will be related to new result.

In other words, it will misbehave badly if those characters appear
in the query result.  Doesn't sound acceptable to me.

Random thought but NUL isn't allowed in data so could it be used as a protocol flag?

David J.