Re: How to *really* quit psql? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: How to *really* quit psql?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Nov 19, 2022 at 12:10 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Fabien COELHO <coelho@cri.ensmp.fr> writes:
>   - when the current script is included from something,
>     you quit the current script and proceed after the \i of next -f, BAD

> Question: is there any way to really abort a psql script from an included
> file?

Under what circumstances would it be appropriate for a script to take
it on itself to decide that?  It has no way of knowing what the next -f
option is or what the user intended.

Can we add an exit code argument to the \quit meta-command that could be set to non-zero and, combined with ON_ERROR_STOP, produces the desired effect of aborting everything just like an error under ON_ERROR_STOP does (which is the workaround here I suppose, but an ugly one that involves the server).

David J.