Re: superuser_reserved_connections and max_connections - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: superuser_reserved_connections and max_connections
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Friday, June 24, 2016, Travis Kirstine <tkirstine@firstbasesolutions.com> wrote:

We were getting a lot of "max connections reached" errors and noticed that all our users are super users, after some digging I found the

superuser_reserved_connections parameter was not set (default to 3) this lead to some additional questions:

If all my users are  superusers are they effectively limited to the number of connections defined in the

superuser_reserved_connections  parameter?

Is there any significant difference between a superuser and non-superuser connection?

Any additional insight would be great.

If max connections is 100 you get 97 concurrent connections.  If all 97 are in use you then get three more concurrent connections that only accept superuser credentials.

David J.