Re: Slowly making progress - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: Slowly making progress
Date
List pgsql-novice
Was the lack of knowledge do to a failure to read or a failure to understand chapter 22 in the docs?  It's been a while since I've read it but it covers all of this material seemingly quite well.

David J.

On Friday, February 23, 2018, Ron Watkins <rwatki@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks, got it working now. As I am a newbie, I didn’t know about the tablespace requirement.

You guys are very helpful. Thanks

From: David G. Johnston [mailto:david.g.johnston@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, February 23, 2018 10:06 AM
To: Ron Watkins
Cc: pgsql-novice@lists.postgresql.org
Subject: Re: Slowly making progress

On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 9:51 AM, Ron Watkins <rwatki@gmail.com> wrote:

Ok, got the default database (postgres) running.

Trying to create a “user” database for the application…

Can anyone spot what im doing wrong here?

createdb -e -D /pgsql/DEV -E UTF8 -l en_US.UTF-8 -O postgres DEV

CREATE DATABASE "DEV" OWNER postgres TABLESPACE "/pgsql/DEV" ENCODING 'UTF8' LC_COLLATE 'en_US.UTF-8' LC_CTYPE 'en_US.UTF-8';

createdb: database creation failed: ERROR:  tablespace "/pgsql/DEV" does not exist

The TABLESPACE clause wants the name of an existing tablespace - not a non-existence path.  Tablespaces are objects in their own right.

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/sql-createdatabase.html

David J.