Re: Best practices for aggregate table design - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: Best practices for aggregate table design
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 2:53 PM, droberts <david.roberts@riverbed.com> wrote:

month | city_id | state_id | total_calls_inbound | total_calls_outbound |
total_calls_inbound_encr | total_calls_outbound_encr |

getting a bit hairy but the alternative seems like it would start growing
too quickly in rows and more I/O for inserts.

month | city_id | state_id | encrypted  | type  |  total_calls

2015-01 12 2 true, false, 56
2015-01 10 4  true, true, 147
2015-01 null null 201 17 218

​A bit beyond my experience but my gut tells me I would choose the later over the former.  It even has a name - star schema.

David J.