Re: [DOCS] 19.2. File Locations doesn't tell you the file locations! - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: [DOCS] 19.2. File Locations doesn't tell you the file locations!
Date
List pgsql-docs
On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 3:06 AM, <redirect.null@gmail.com> wrote:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/runtime-config-file-locations.html

In the latest documentation &quot;Section 19.2. File Locations&quot; tells you how to
set the locations of the various config files, but it doesn&#39;t tell you how
to find out where they bloody well are in the first place! Which seems like
a ridiculous ommission.

If the section in the documentation titled &#39;File Locations&#39; isn&#39;t the
appropriate place to document the locations of the config files, then I
don&#39;t know where the hell is.

​The "installation instructions" covers where files are placed when installing from source.

If you are not installing from source them whomever compiled the package you are installing will have specified where they are placing files and you will need to inquire of them.  The PostgreSQL docs don't cover file locations in depth because each of the many platforms we support have their own conventions.

David J.