Re: [DOCS] 19.2. File Locations doesn't tell you the file locations! - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Ian Barwick
Subject Re: [DOCS] 19.2. File Locations doesn't tell you the file locations!
Date
List pgsql-docs
On 10/10/2017 11:46 PM, David G. Johnston wrote:> On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 3:06 AM, <redirect.null@gmail.com
<mailto:redirect.null@gmail.com>>wrote:>>    The following documentation comment has been logged on the website:>>
Page:https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/runtime-config-file-locations.html>     Description:>>     In the latest
documentation"Section 19.2. File Locations" tells you how to>     set the locations of the various config
files,but it doesn't tell you how>     to find out where they bloody well are in the first place! Which seems like>
   a ridiculous ommission.>>     If the section in the documentation titled 'File Locations' isn't the>
appropriateplace to document the locations of the config files, then I>     don't know where the hell is.>>> ​The
"installationinstructions" covers where files are placed when installing from source.>>
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/install-procedure.html>>If you are not installing from source them whomever
compiledthe package you are> installing will have specified where they are placing files and you will need to> inquire
ofthem.>> The PostgreSQL docs don't cover file locations in depth because each of the many> platforms we support have
theirown conventions.

It is of course possible to obtain the current values contained by the settings
listed on that page with e.g.:
    SHOW config_file

or
    SELECT setting FROM pg_settings WHERE name = 'config_file'

Server has to be running, of course.

The various ways of getting current parameter values are documented on the previous
manual page here:
    https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/config-setting.html#config-setting-sql-command-interaction

Regards

Ian Barwick