Re: Calling variadic function with default value in named notation - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: Calling variadic function with default value in named notation
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 8:51 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> As I look at this more I'm definitely agreeing that the documentation here
> is problematic.  Specifically, the fact that the only place about this
> syntax is in a chapter under Extending SQ - SQL Functions, is not good.  It
> really needs to be in the Syntax chapter.

The documentation situation was complained of in the 2009 thread I just
cited :-(.  Doesn't look like anybody did anything about it.

I am not, however, persuaded that you can just move a bunch of that
material to the syntax chapter.

That wasn't the intent, but the exact solution will take time to come up with so I was just being vague.

  I don't think it's very practical
to describe variadic functions when the user doesn't know how to
create one.

Plenty of users are able to execute built-in functions without knowing how to create them.  This doesn't seem any different.

David J.