Re: Adding since-version tags to the docs? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: Adding since-version tags to the docs?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 10:39 AM, Shulgin, Oleksandr <oleksandr.shulgin@zalando.de> wrote:
On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 4:01 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

It'll be a real
mess if we do that for everything.

I share the fear that it could become messy, but it doesn't necessary *have to* be a mess.

​The extensions and SQL command sections are quite amenable to this kind of note - and also have the lesser need since those pages are already standalone and you can browse the versions at the top to figure out when the page was added.  The function tables and, to a lesser extent, types are likely to find the greater benefit to this but are also most likely to have information overload.

I would be content with a policy that only version tags corresponding to active releases be included and that tags pointing to older releases be removed.  If we are consistent with the corresponding tagging and wording the removal aspect can be fully automated.

I have interest in this but not enough to cobble together a patch containing a sufficient number of examples that the community can review and vote upon.

David J.