Re: Adding since-version tags to the docs? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Adding since-version tags to the docs?
Date
Re: Adding since-version tags to the docs?  (Catalin Iacob <iacobcatalin@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
"Shulgin, Oleksandr" <oleksandr.shulgin@zalando.de> writes:
> On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 4:01 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> TBH, I think this is a horrid idea.  We occasionally manually add remarks
>> like "since version x.y, Postgres does this".  Inevitably, that just bulks
>> up the documentation; and it starts to look seriously silly in a few years
>> when x.y and all its predecessors are out of support.

> Well, I wouldn't name it outright silly: what's so bad about knowing that
> certain feature was there since 9.0, for example?

Right now, you might well care about whether a feature arrived in 9.3 vs
9.4, for instance; but it's highly unlikely that you care whether a
feature arrived in 7.1 or 7.2.  The problem with this proposal is that
it will add far more bloat of the latter sort than currently-useful
information; and the ratio will get worse over time.