Re: Adding since-version tags to the docs? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Shulgin, Oleksandr
Subject Re: Adding since-version tags to the docs?
Date
Re: Adding since-version tags to the docs?  ("David G. Johnston" <david.g.johnston@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 4:01 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
"Shulgin, Oleksandr" <oleksandr.shulgin@zalando.de> writes:
> I often find it pity that our docs are missing any information on since
> when a certain GUC setting, SQL-level command or function was introduced.
> It would be nice if we could make a script that would parse the sgml files
> and for every symbol it finds it would add a tag like "Since version 9.x".

TBH, I think this is a horrid idea.  We occasionally manually add remarks
like "since version x.y, Postgres does this".  Inevitably, that just bulks
up the documentation; and it starts to look seriously silly in a few years
when x.y and all its predecessors are out of support.

Well, I wouldn't name it outright silly: what's so bad about knowing that certain feature was there since 9.0, for example?  I think can actually help then sending a docs link to someone who can read the docs, but not the code (or at least not that easily).

I would also find it more reassuring for myself to read it stated in the document rather than trying to track down a version where the feature did appear using git log --grep or the mentioned click-through technique for older versions.  Can't speak for the others, of course.

It'll be a real
mess if we do that for everything.

I share the fear that it could become messy, but it doesn't necessary *have to* be a mess.

--
Alex