Re: Archeiving and Purging - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: Archeiving and Purging
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wednesday, March 18, 2015, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
On 3/18/2015 7:20 AM, adityagis wrote:
  I have lots of data in my DB. I need to do archeiving and purging of my
data.
Can anyone please help me with step by step riles?

like this?

select * from table where datefield < current_date-interval '6 months';
delete from table where datefield < current_date-interval '6 months';

obviously, save the data you selected in a suitable archive file. repeat this for each table you wish to 'archive and purge'.

alter the interval with whatever criteria you want to use for this archive and purge operation.

Or, pg_dump followed by a drop database...maybe followed by pg_restore (schema only)...

Probably suggest a COPY ... TO, via psql or or the server depending, if doing a partial archive.

Not sure what step-by_step commands should be used given the lack of o/s, client libraries, or intended result specifics.  The documentation, postgresql and/or operating system, will tell how but passing in the proper "arguments" requires more knowledge than has been provided.