Re: Submitting to pgsql-general - Mailing list pgsql-www

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: Submitting to pgsql-general
Date
List pgsql-www
On Wednesday, January 6, 2016, Melvin Davidson <melvin6925@gmail.com> wrote:
I would like to see the following added to the introduction to the pgsql-general list.

"When submitting to this list, please include the full version of PostgreSQL and the O/S you are using.
Also, if you are reportaing a problem, it is essential that a minimal amount of schema & data be
provided in order to duplicate problem being reported, as well as exact error verbage encountered and
any relevant extracts from the postgresql log file(s)."

At the very least, a link to

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Guide_to_reporting_problems
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/SlowQueryQuestions

would be helpful

While some may think there are cases where this is irrelavant, there are now in existence seveeral
versions of PostgreSQL across multiple operating systems.

 It's been this way for years...

It it not inconcievable that a bug (or problem)
being reported in a previous version & O/S has already been corrected in a newer one. Likewise, something
that may occur in one version & O/S may not occur in another.

If it is just a general query, keep in mind that new features are constantly being added with each new
release, so something previously impossible (or done another way) in a previous version, may now be
simplified with the implementation of a new function/feature.

I encourage additional suggestions as to what should be included when submitting queries to this list.

 I really don't think we need to be obsessive with -General, though an advisory is not out of line.  I suspect that some 90% of inquiries are o/s agnostic and likely apply to any recent release.  Those answering can ask for the info if it is necessary.  I would suggest only asking for it if you cannot give a useful answer otherwise.  It should not be a goal to indoctrinate people asking for assistance to include what is often unnecessary detail.

 Bugs and problem reports should be well documented but the general usage question on general don't need the same kind of upfront rigor.  Make assumptions if they don't provide detail or ask for precisely what you need to answer the question.  This is a largely o/s agnostic application as long as you are dealing with SQL stuff.  As for features assume the current release and then, if necessary, provide workarounds for older versions lacking said feature.  Even if the poster doesn't have the latest release some other reader may.  If anything I encourage those providing answers to provide release information with their answers...thou as a reader I would assume the current release as of the email timestamp unless otherwise stated.

David J.