Re: Speeding up pg_upgrade - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: Speeding up pg_upgrade
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 12:04 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
If you've
got a better idea for that, great, but having certain pg_upgrade
migrations require running ANALYZE and some migrations not require it is
something we need to make users *very* clear about.  No, I don't think a
note in the release notes is really enough..

​Ideally this would be covered by:

"""
13. Post-Upgrade processing

​If any post-upgrade processing is required, pg_upgrade will issue warnings as it completes. It will also generate script files that must be run by the administrator. The script files will connect to each database that needs post-upgrade processing. Each script should be run using: ...
"""

Then whether is instructed as per #14 would be conditional.

Its arguable whether a warning/notice that "ANALYZE doesn't need to be run" message would be useful.

David J.