Re: About COPY command (and probably file fdw too) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: About COPY command (and probably file fdw too)
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 1:33 PM, Nicolas Paris <niparisco@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

To me this would be great. Why not the ability to restrict lines too
COPY stafflist (userid, username, staffid)
FROM 'myfile.txt'
WITH (FORMAT text, DELIMITER E'\t', COLUMNS (1, 2, 7), LINES(2:1000,2000:3000), ENCODING 'windows-1250')
=> subset of full data.

​At some level of complexity it is questionable whether a feature belongs in core that can exist outside of it.

While I have not yet personally used pgloader it seems to accomplish much of what is being requested.

COPY (and \copy) serves its purpose extremely well​

​but expects the user to deal with any customization needed either before or after it has done its thing.  I believe this is for the best since such customizations and tools have no need to operate on the same release cycle as the core PostgreSQL project.

David J.