Re: Fixed redundant i18n strings in json - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Johnston
Subject Re: Fixed redundant i18n strings in json
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 5:53 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
David G Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> writes:
> Tom Lane-2 wrote
>> Surely that was meant to read "invalid number OF arguments".  The errhint
>> is only charitably described as English, as well.  I'd suggest something
>> like "Arguments of json_build_object() must be pairs of keys and values."
>> --- but maybe someone else can phrase that better.

> The user documentation is worth emulating here:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/interactive/functions-json.html

> errmsg("argument count must be divisible by 2")
> errhint("The argument list consists of alternating names and values")

Seems reasonable to me.

> Note that I s/keys/names/ to match said documentation.

Hm.  The docs aren't too consistent either: there are several other nearby
places that say "keys".  Notably, the functions json[b]_object_keys() have
that usage embedded in their names, where we can't readily change it.

I'm inclined to think we should s/names/keys/ in the docs instead.
Thoughts?

Agreed - have the docs match the common API term usage in our implementation.

Not sure its worth a thorough hunt but at least fix them as they are noticed.

David J.