Re: BUG #17375: RECOVERY TARGET TIME RESTORE IS FAILING TO START SERVER - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: BUG #17375: RECOVERY TARGET TIME RESTORE IS FAILING TO START SERVER
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Fri, Jan 21, 2022 at 4:20 AM B Ganesh Kishan <bkishan@commvault.com> wrote:
Hello,

The problem is that we are providing a time target that Postgres does not know how to reach. This is because there are no transactions in between the backups.
For example, if I take two backups but don't have any transactions in between them the restore will fail to any point in time between them.
However, if we add a transaction between the backups and restore to a time before that transaction then the restore is successful.

Prior to 13, a missed target would be ignored, and recovery would play to the end of the WAL. So, this issue was not seen with earlier versions.
Please suggest how can we achieve a successful restore in this case.

I don't quite follow the overall situation but given your observation and apparent acceptance of the pre-v13 behavior just don't specify a restore point and let WAL replay everything.  Doing this for the earlier backup will get you the desired state, since as you said nothing changed since the end of that backup and the time you are presently specifying.

David J.