Re: Query returns no rows in pg_basebackup cluster - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: Query returns no rows in pg_basebackup cluster
Date
Re: Query returns no rows in pg_basebackup cluster  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 3:57 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 5/21/20 3:47 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> writes:
>> On 5/21/20 1:20 PM, Andrus wrote:
>>> In windows pg_basebackup was used to create base backup from Linux server.
>
>> Are you referring to two different instances of Postgres on Windows?
>
> No, what it sounds like is the OP tried to physically replicate a
> database on another platform with completely different sorting rules.
> Which means all his text indexes are corrupt according to the
> destination platform's sorting rules, which easily explains the
> observed misbehavior (ie, index searches not finding the expected rows).

Well what I was trying to figure out was:

"Windows server this query returns 0 rows.

In Windows server same query using like

select *  from firma1.desktop where baas like '_LOGIFAI'

returns properly 16 rows. "

My suspicion is that first case is for the replicated database and
failed for the reasons you mentioned and that the second case is for a
'native' Windows instance. Just trying to get confirmation.

Nothing in the OP's text suggests a different server is involved - rather same server but LIKE vs equals.

The LIKE query probably doesn't use an index and thus finds the relevant data via sequential scan and equality checks on each record.

David J.