Re: pg_basebackup is taking more time than expected - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: pg_basebackup is taking more time than expected
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Jan 15, 2018 at 7:57 AM, Raghavendra Rao J S V <raghavendrajsv@gmail.com> wrote:
I am looking for the help to minimise the time taken by the pg_basebackup utility.

As informed Earlier we are taking the backup of the database using pg_basbackup utility using below command.

$PGHOME/bin/pg_basebackup -p 5433 -U postgres -P -v -x --format=tar --gzip --compress=6 --pgdata=- -D /opt/backup_db

According to our previous discussion, pg_basebackup is not depend on any of the postgresql configuration parameters. If I go for gzip format we need to compromise on time.

We are planning to take by following below steps. Please correct me if I am wrong.

  1. Identify the larger indexes(whose size is above 256MB) and drop those indexes. Due to this size of the database will reduce.
​I'm with Stephen on this one - going into standalone mode and dropping indexes seems odd...​

I am new to postgres database. Could you  help me to construct the query to drop and create the indexes, please?

see "CREATE INDEX" and "DROP INDEX" in that listing.​

​You haven't explained the purpose of the backups but its for availability and you are this concerned about speed you should investing it learning and install a hot-standby replication configuration.

Additionally, consider whether you can improve the IO of the setup you are using since, as Stephen said, and I am far from experienced in this area, 18hours for less than 500GB of data seem extraordinarily long.

David J.