Re: ('dog$house' = quote_ident('dog$house')) is surprisingly FALSE - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: ('dog$house' = quote_ident('dog$house')) is surprisingly FALSE
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Oct 6, 2022 at 3:53 PM Bryn Llewellyn <bryn@yugabyte.com> wrote:

(3) The PG doc on quote_ident says this in large friendly letters:

Quotes are added only if necessary…

Notice "only". I now know that this is very much not the case. You can compose an effectively unlimited number of different examples along these lines:

select quote_ident('redaktør'); → "redaktør"
create table redaktør(n int); → table successfully created

Yep, and that is precisely what would make for a good bug report.  Pointing out that "if necessary" does not indeed match up with the behavior.

I suspect it is likely to get changed - everything else being discussed just detracts attention from it.

David J.