Re: passing linux user to PG server as a variable ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: passing linux user to PG server as a variable ?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Monday, August 17, 2020, David Gauthier <davegauthierpg@gmail.com> wrote:
OK, trying to piece together something that might work but I don't see the pieces falling into place.
From the link you provided...

"The most fundamental way to set these parameters is to edit the file postgresql.conf"
So I'm fine with asking our IT guys to stick some lines in there for us. But will the thing that executes the file understand what $USER is ?  Will this work...   "osuser = $USER"

This does not seem like something you’d setup at the server configuration level...and no, writing osuser=$USER is going to be unintelligible to the server.

I tried this sort of thing through $PGOPTIONS...
setenv PGOPTIONS "-c 'osuser=$USER'"
But when I go to connect...
psql: FATAL:  unrecognized configuration parameter "'osuser"

I can avoid the error by just throwing a namespace in there...

Expected

atletx7-reg036:/home/dgauthie[ 214 ] --> setenv PGOPTIONS "-c 'os.user=$USER' "
But once in, "show os.user" is undefined.

Not sure, though maybe start with constants for values to isolate the where info is being lost.  I’m not absolutely positive that PGOPTIONS will even work here and even if it does that method has some limitations if you want to use things like connection poolers.  It is, however, the existing ideal way to accomplish the goal of having the connection pre-establish a server GUC at startup without having to deal with SQL.

I'm fine with a temp table approach, but don't really know where/how to create it in terms of pg sys files, init scripts or env vars like PGOPTIONS.

You would interact with it using pure SQL.  The how/where depends heavily on your environment.  You lass in the $USER to you client software where it executes a post-connect hook SQL script populating a temp table with that value, usually via a function.

David J.