Re: Record returning function accept not matched columns declaration - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: Record returning function accept not matched columns declaration
Date
Re: Record returning function accept not matched columns declaration  (PetSerAl <petseral@gmail.com>)
Re: Record returning function accept not matched columns declaration  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-bugs
On Thu, Feb 29, 2024 at 1:11 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> On Thursday, February 29, 2024, PetSerAl <petseral@gmail.com> wrote:
>> postgres=# with a(b) as (values (row(1,2,3)))
>> postgres-# select * from a, coalesce(b) as c(d int,e int, f int)
>> postgres-# union all
>> postgres-# select * from a, nullif(b, null) as c(d int,e int, f int)
>> postgres-# union all
>> postgres-# select * from a, unnest(array[b]) as c(d int,e int, f int)
>> postgres-# union all
>> postgres-# select * from a, json_populate_record(b, null) as c(d int,e
>> int, f int); --expect OK

> My concern with all of this is accepting the specification of column
> definitions for functions that don’t return the record pseudo-type.

Hm?  These cases all *do* return record, because that's what a.b is
typed as.

I strongly dislike the seemingly overloaded terminology in this area.  Namely I was trying to distinguish these two example function signatures.

json_populate_record ( base anyelement, from_json json ) → anyelement
jsonb_to_record ( jsonb ) → record

Polymorphic functions do not require a column definition list.  The non-polymorphic function signature does require the column definition list.  That we accept a column definition list in the polymorphic case is settled code but seems like it led to this bug.

David J.