Re: Upgrading an extension's extnamespace from user-specified to a defined schema breaks dump/restore - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: Upgrading an extension's extnamespace from user-specified to a defined schema breaks dump/restore
Date
In response to Re: Upgrading an extension's extnamespace from user-specified to a defined schema breaks dump/restore  ("David G. Johnston" <david.g.johnston@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-bugs
On Wednesday, May 8, 2024, David G. Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, May 8, 2024 at 5:50 PM David G. Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:

Immaterial, they ignore @extschema@ already.

On a related note, our documentation says:

The target schema is determined by the schema parameter in the control file if that is given, otherwise by the SCHEMA option of CREATE EXTENSION if that is given, otherwise the current default object creation schema (the first one in the caller's search_path).

So it actually comes from pg_catalog, not the control file.

Never mind, in the context of only create extension, which this paragraph appears in, this is perfectly fine.  We simply don’t discuss the fact there is a choice between the control file and the installed value when updating an extension, and that the value if the control file is ignored.  I’ve got some thoughts for some status quo documentation updates that I’ll work through, and some idea of how we’d frame this if this dba tool does get added.

David J.