Re: Data Type to store Leading Zero(0) - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: Data Type to store Leading Zero(0)
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 4:13 AM <soumik.bhattacharjee@kpn.com> wrote:

As per business needs we need to store Zero(0) in primary key column of table  with this kind of value à  07******** with applications written in Java microservices.

We are not able to use numeric data type as it trims the Zero value in leading, but it’s also a performance impact if we define varchar in the data type.

A true number stores leading zeros since all bits in the representation are always present regardless of whether they are zero or one.  Thus it is a cosmetic presentation choice to suppress displaying those leading zeros, not a storage one.

If these aren't true numbers, i.e., "0001" and "000001" are actually different, then what you have is a string that only uses numbers.  Model that using text and let the performance fall where it will.

David J.