Re: [PROPOSAL] DIAGNOSTICS = SKIPPED_ROW_COUNT - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] DIAGNOSTICS = SKIPPED_ROW_COUNT
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> Using this attribute, we can have more control on parallel operations like,

> IF SKIPPED_ROW_COUNT =0 THEN
> <<Treat me as, a complete transaction, and do below stuff>>
> ELSE
> <<Got only few tuples than required, and do below stuff>>
> END IF;

Um ... so what?  This is not a use-case.

In my view, "How one can be sure that, he obtained all the tuples with SKIP LOCKED". If the end user has this counter value, he may proceed with a different approach with partially locked tuples.

​Can you be more specific?  In most cases I can come up with (queues, basically) where skipped locked is running the processing performing the query is going to re-query the database on the next tick regardless of whether they thought they say only some or all of the potential rows on the prior pass.

David J.