Re: BUG #15324: Non-deterministic behaviour from parallelised sub-query - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: BUG #15324: Non-deterministic behaviour from parallelised sub-query
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Monday, August 13, 2018, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Likely, we need to treat the presence of a LIMIT/OFFSET in a sub-select
>> as making it parallel-unsafe, for exactly the reason that that makes
>> its results non-deterministic.

> Isn't it default behave of LIMIT/OFFSET without ORDER BY clause?

In principle, the planner could prove in some cases that the results
were deterministic even with LIMIT/OFFSET.  BuT I doubt it's worth
the trouble.  I certainly wouldn't advocate for such logic to be
part of a back-patched bug fix.

Could the planner stick a materialize node there that feeds the same set of originally selected records to any parallel executors that end up pulling from it?

David J.