Re: Unclear problem reports - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: Unclear problem reports
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Feb 2, 2022 at 5:35 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
I consider these as problems that need digging to find the cause, and
users are usually unable to do sufficient digging, and we don't have
time to give them instructions, so they never get a reply.

Is there something we can do to improve this situation?  Should we just
tell them they need to hire a Postgres expert?  I assume these are users
who do not already have access to such experts.

Have pg_lister queue up a check for, say, two or three days after the bug reporting form is filled out.  If the report hasn't been responded to by someone other than the OP send out a reply that basically says:

We're sorry your message hasn't yet attracted a response.  If your report falls into the category of "tech support for a malfunctioning server", and this includes error messages that are difficult or impossible to replicate in a development environment (maybe give some examples), you may wish to consider eliciting paid professional help.  Please see this page on our website for a directory of companies that provide such services.  The PostgreSQL Core Project itself refrains from making recommendations since many, if not all, of these companies contribute back to the project in order to keep it both free and open source.

I would also consider adding a form that directs messages to pg_admin instead of pg_bugs.  On that form we could put the above message upfront - basically saying that here is a place to ask for help but the core project (this website) doesn't directly provide such services: so if you don't receive a reply, or your needs are immediate, consider enlisting a paid support from our directory.

The problem with the separate form is that we would need users to self-select to report their problem to the support list instead of using a bug reporting form.  Neither of the mentioned emails are good examples of bug reports.  Either we make it easier and hope self-selection works, or just resign ourselves to seeing these messages on -bugs and use the first option to at least be a bit more responsive.  The risks related to having a rote response, namely it not really being applicable to the situation, seem minimal and others seeing that response (assuming we'd send it to the list and not just the OP) would likely encourage someone to at least give better suggestions for next steps should that be necessary.

David J.