Re: csv format for psql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: csv format for psql
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wednesday, March 28, 2018, David G. Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wednesday, March 28, 2018, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:

Are there some possible alternatives?

Given the date and the fact that the cf end is 3 days away, the proposed short term alternative is Daniel's version, that I feel is reasonable. Ok, people have to do two pset to get comma-separated csv, otherwise they get pipe-separated csv in one pset.

Could someone post how captions, rows-only, and footer pset settings factor into this?  Specifically are they fixed to on/off or will they hide/show if users request them explicitly?

I found the original post that covers that indeed we simply fix these values, which is why I was thinking.

 and something like --csv-fieldsep should be provided (I like the prefixing to tie the option lexically to the master --csv option).

Or, really, just make --csv take an optional argument which, if present, is the delimiter.  No separate argument needed, and we ignore the pset fieldsep argument like we ignore everything else.

Need to decide whether to "not ignore" --tuples-only, which doesn't seem controversial aside from being a pset argument that isn't being ignored in this design...

David J.