Re: Best Strategy for Large Number of Images - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: Best Strategy for Large Number of Images
Date
List pgsql-general

On Wed, Dec 15, 2021 at 10:57 AM Estevan Rech <softrech@gmail.com> wrote:
350kb

Em qua., 15 de dez. de 2021 às 14:50, Rob Sargent <robjsargent@gmail.com> escreveu:
On 12/15/21 10:45, Estevan Rech wrote:
Hi,

I don't currently use PostgreSQL, but I plan to migrate and I have a question about the best way/strategy for storing images. I have about 2 million images with a growth trend of around 1 million images per year. I plan to store in bytea format in an isolated table. Is this recommended? Is there another better way?

How big are the images on average?

Please don't top-post - inline or bottom posting (with trimming) is the custom here.

It does depend (both on the size and usage patterns).

An alternative way is to simply not store images within the database itself.  Store a pointer, and then store the image externally.  The application then gets the pointer from the database and uses it to retrieve the image from the image server.

David J.