Re: [GENERAL] Any thoughts on making a psql meta-command "hide (orshow alt text) if no results"? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Any thoughts on making a psql meta-command "hide (orshow alt text) if no results"?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 6:25 PM, Melvin Davidson <melvin6925@gmail.com> wrote:
​H​
ave you looked at the TUPLES ONLY option?

-t
--tuples-only

Turn off printing of column names and result row count footers, etc. This is equivalent to the \t command.

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/app-psql.html

​Hadn't pondered it for this usage.  Now that I have I'd say having the column names be visible for those few times the query returns results would be nice.​  So, close but not quite.

I eventually saw, in one of the three descriptions for "tuples only" where the caption is explicitly noted as being hidden in this mode. In my proposed feature the caption, like the table it is attached to, would be visible only conditionally.

David J.