Re: Backing up a DB excluding certain tables - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: Backing up a DB excluding certain tables
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Apr 27, 2022 at 3:46 PM JORGE MALDONADO <jorgemal1960@gmail.com> wrote:
Is this the correct way to answer when you say that I must keep the list cc'd? I am not sure if I only have to reply to the pgsql-general@lists.postgresql.org list or also include individual emails like yours and Adrian's.

Most of us prefer (or at least I don't see many complaints - I do have a preference for being included specifically) if the individual responders are kept too (reply-all) but in any case the list needs to be addressed.

The additional convention is to inline post (with trimming) as opposed to top-posting like you did here.  As a secondary option, bottom-post.

I have tried many ways to make this pg_dump command work without success. I just do not know what is going on. The last test I performed was as follows which only excludes 1 table in the riopoderoso schema but it did not work. Such a table is included in the resulting backup plain format file.

pg_dump -E win1252 -f c:/temp/respaldo.backup -n riopoderoso -F p -h localhost -p 5432 -U postgres -W -s -T 'riopoderoso."AspNetRoleClaims"' riopoderoso

That doesn't make any sense.

Using a clean testing database are you able to reproduce the problem?

What version of PostgreSQL and from where?

If you substitute in ? for various characters in the name (particularly the table name portion) can you make it work?  Is there some kind of encoding difference so the name you are typing in pg_dump and the name stored in the database, while looking the same, are actually different?  Copy-and-paste the name from the pg_dump file back into the command line.

David J.