Re: controlling psql's use of the pager a bit more - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Johnston
Subject Re: controlling psql's use of the pager a bit more
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 10:55 AM, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 11:39 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 11:54 AM, David G Johnston
> <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Because I might be quite happy with 100 or 200 lines I can just scroll
>>> in my terminal's scroll buffer, but want to use the pager for more than
>>> that. This is useful especially if I want to scroll back and see the
>>> results from a query or two ago.
>>
>> +1
>
> +1 from me, too.

me three (as long as the current behaviors are not messed with and the
new stuff is 'opt in' somehow -- I also use the force quit option to
less).

​Being able to use "\pset pager"​

​to toggle the capability seems useful.

Thus I'd suggest establishing a new "pager_minlines"​ option that if unset (default) maintains the current behavior but which can have a value (0 to int_max) where 0 ends up basically doing the same thing as "always" mode for "pager".  Leaving the value blank will cause the option to be unset again and revert to the current behavior.

David J.