Re: [postgis-users] How to sql scripts in a file? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From John Zhang
Subject Re: [postgis-users] How to sql scripts in a file?
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hello Giuseppe and  Sándor Daku,

Thank you for the input. Yes, after conn.commit() is called, it works.

Cheers,
John

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 9:37 AM Giuseppe Broccolo <g.broccolo.7@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi John,

I guess you are using Psycopg2 as driver to PostgreSQL here (please add further details about your setup).

Assuming Psycopg2: I guess that is because actions are not committed in your snippet. You may be interested to
set autocommit for the execution of the script, even better to manage properly transactions, see the documentation

For instance, I'd use context managers for connectors and cursors (available from version 2.5):
sqlF = r'{}\{}'.format(sFldr_sql,sSQLFile)
with
psycopg2.connect(...) as conn: with conn.cursor() as cur: curs.execute(open(sqlF,'r').read())

So that if no exception has been raised, the transaction is committed. In case of exception the transaction
is rolled back. Also the cursor is then properly closed, without affecting the transaction.

Giuseppe.