Re: Rows removed on child table when updating parent partitioned table. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jonathan Strong
Subject Re: Rows removed on child table when updating parent partitioned table.
Date
List pgsql-general
I've been away from coding for several years, but dusting off my chops and getting back up to speed with PostgreSQL (love it!). So please forgive me if my early answers here come off as naive. But my understanding of this suggests that you shouldn't be using "update" on a serial field. I'm guessing that under the covers things are getting confused because your update doesn't also address the sequence that's implicitly created when you define a field as "serial". If you use "update" I'm guessing that nextval in the corresponding sequence is *not* updated accordingly.

Have you tried this with setval() or nextval() rather than update? You can compare the difference between these and "update" by checking currval() after each. Again - I apologize for incomplete knowledge here, but I'm speculating that use of "update" on an auto-incrementing serial field is outside intended / supported behavior, and it may well just be that it winds up being handled differently under the covers when the data table and/or associated sequence are partitioned.

- Jon

Jonathan Strong

CIO / CTO / Consultant

P: 609-532-1715 E: jonathanrstrong@gmail.com