Re: Query Rewrite with Postgres' materialized views - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Eric Grinstein
Subject Re: Query Rewrite with Postgres' materialized views
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Thank you for your answers.
I am very eager to contribute to Postgres, especially in the materialized views area.
I have created a thread proposing to work on it as my Google Summer of Code project.
It became a consensus that implementing the query rewrite feature would be unfeasible
for such a short period of time, but Tomas Vondra suggested I could work on a first part of It, such as
making a staleness flag for the MVs. If you have any opinions on the thread, i'd be pleased to read them.

Thank you and regards,

Eric

On Sat, Feb 21, 2015 at 1:04 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> I'm not really sure what Josh was talking about in that answer.  In
>> terms of doing this automatically, I doubt that's likely to happen
>> until we have a way to automatically update a materialized view when
>> the underlying data changes --- and Kevin Grittner has done a bunch of
>> work towards that, but more is needed to get us there.
>
> Even with auto maintenance, it seems unlikely that matviews would ever
> be so transparent that it would be okay for the planner to automatically
> substitute them into a query.  The data in a matview is going to be at
> least a little bit stale, else You're Doing It Wrong.

Perhaps, but this is a feature we've gotten MANY customer requests
for.  IDK why, but it's true.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company