Re: Collapsing multiple subqueries into one - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Hanks
Subject Re: Collapsing multiple subqueries into one
Date
List pgsql-general
Thanks Royce. I put together another query using a WITH statement
that's also working:

WITH v AS (
  SELECT item_id, type, direction, array_agg(user_id) as user_ids
  FROM votes
  WHERE root_id = 5305
  GROUP BY type, direction, item_id
  ORDER BY type, direction, item_id
)
SELECT *,
  (SELECT user_ids from v where item_id = i.id AND type = 0 AND
direction = 1) as upvoters,
  (SELECT user_ids from v where item_id = i.id AND type = 0 AND
direction = -1) as downvoters,
  (SELECT user_ids from v where item_id = i.id AND type = 1) as favoriters
FROM items i
WHERE root_id = 5305
ORDER BY id

It feels more sensible to me, but it's slightly slower than my initial
attempt (15 ms vs. 13 ms, when running as a prepared statement to
avoid any query parsing overhead, and averaging the time over several
thousand queries). I'm not sure why...?