Re: [GENERAL] requested timeline doesn't contain minimum recovery point - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom DalPozzo
Subject Re: [GENERAL] requested timeline doesn't contain minimum recovery point
Date
List pgsql-general
Could you give more details? What does pg_rewind tell you at each
phase? Is that on Postgres 9.5 or 9.6? I use pg_rewind quite
extensively on 9.5 but I have no problems of this time with multiple
timeline jumps when juggling between two nodes. Another thing that is
coming to my mind: you are using pg_rewing with a source node that is
running. You should issue a checkpoint manually after promoting the
node to be sure that its control file gets the new timeline number.
--
Michael
Hi,

sometimes pg_rewind says that nothing needs to be done, sometimes it says it's rewinding and done at the end.
I'm using 9.6. I moved there from 9.5 as I'm also using replication slots and in 9.6 there is a second parameter added. But I seem to remember that it did the same in 9.5 too but I'm not really sure.
I checked that the server, at promotion said the message about the new timeline.
I will make some more tests.
Regards
Pupillo

Hi!
I redid the tests following your suggestion to issue a checkpoint manually. IT WORKS!
Just a question: when the standby server starts, I see the log error messages (ex.: "invalid record length...")  when WAL end is reached. I know that it's normal.
But I'm wondering if the system, in order to detect the end of the WAL, controls only the validity of the records in the WAL.
I mean, could random bytes appear as a valid record (very unlikely, but possible)?
Thanks
Pupillo