Re: Is this a reasonable use for advisory locks? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Perryn Fowler
Subject Re: Is this a reasonable use for advisory locks?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Steve,

Thanks for your thoughts!

I was thinking to avoid using locks on the customer rows because there is a lot of other unrelated access to that table. In particular I don’t want writes to that table queueing up behind this process.

However, does the fact that you are suggesting  row locks mean you think advisory locks are a unsuitable?

(Thanks for the mention of network issues, but I am confident that we have appropriate mechanisms in place to ensure fault tolerant and idempotent processing - I’m specifically wanting to address  the race condition)

Cheers
Perryn