Re: psql \d command hides objects from "lower" schemas - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Josh Kupershmidt
Subject Re: psql \d command hides objects from "lower" schemas
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 6:21 AM, Ben Morgan <neembi@gmail.com> wrote:
> Given this, when using the psql command \d, I expect to see all the table=
s,
> and the view as well as the table. But instead the objects in the front-m=
ost
> schema mask the other objects.
>
> I'm submitting this as a bug, because it seems to be one. If this behavio=
> is intended, please forgive me! (And if it is intended, is there flag to
> make objects in higher schemas not mask other objects?)

I think the relevant section of the docs:
  http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/app-psql.html

is the paragraph beginning:

| Whenever the pattern parameter is omitted completely, the \d commands
| display all objects that are visible in the current schema search
| path =97 this is equivalent to using * as the pattern.

Note, I believe that explanation is a bit lacking, i.e a plain.
  \d
is quite different from
  \d *
both in the format of the output, and that the latter displays
pg_catalog tables. At any rate, you can use:
  \dtv *.*
for all tables and views in all schemas. (Unfortunately, you are then
stuck with noise from pg_catalog and information_schema.)

Josh