Re: What do you like to get ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Josh Kupershmidt
Subject Re: What do you like to get ?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 12:16 PM, Adam Cornett <adam.cornett@gmail.com> wrote:
> This sounds like something that should be in the Postgres wiki
> (http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki) not sure if there is a page (a quick
> search didn't turn one up).

> On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 7:29 AM, Marc Mamin <M.Mamin@intershop.de> wrote:
>> I miss a discussion place for feature wishes. (Is there one ?)

Well, there is the Todo list, http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo

But AFAIK there's not a wiki page for users to add or talk about
feature requests; that page says "Please do not add items here without
discussion on the mailing list." And often things mentioned on-list
fall through the cracks, as people aren't motivated enough to build
consensus by asking "Is this a TODO?", then adding to that list. I
don't know that a separate mailing list for such topics would be
helpful or used, but I think a less-official wiki page that users were
free to edit would be helpful. Maybe it could look like this:
  http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Feature_Requests

One feature I'd be interested in is something like an ON STARTUP
trigger, i.e. a way to run some function upon server start. This might
be useful in conjunction with unlogged tables, e.g. you might want to
queue a refresh of a materialized view after a server crash. There are
plenty more, too. If someone wants to start a wiki page, I'll help.

Josh