Re: Alternative JDBC driver - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Radosław Smogura
Subject Re: Alternative JDBC driver
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 10:18:46 +0200, Jimmy K. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I asked this question on JDBC list, but it seems "dead".
>
> I found alternative JDBC driver marked as Beta 2 (actually last time
> bumped to Beta 2.1) http://softperience.eu/pages/cmn/ngpgjdbc.xhtml.
> We still test it. Those features are, mainly, in our interest
> - binary transfer
> - possibility of loading large bytea in JVM with small heap (we
> loaded
> about 1GB in JVM with 256MB)
> - XA
>
> But, I would like to ask, if someone of You have tested it, and / or
> compared. We actually looking for general opinion if it's suitable
> for
> JavaEE + JPA/Hibernate
>
> Regards,
> J.
Hello,

The driver I develop is mainly focused for JavaEE + JPA. We and
friendly company already, uses it during test and for some "less
critical", but live systems (in J2EE 6 environment) (during this tests
we had found two problems, one is fixed, and 2nd looks like comes from
PostgreSQL, but it will be fixed).

If You ask for performance there is available test of original driver
with some binary patches
(http://blogs.oracle.com/jkshah/entry/postgres_8_4_testing_with).

The driver started from our internal interest for making our apps
stable (statement timeout), and faster (binary protocol), rest of
changes came from propositions on forum (JDBC4 exceptions, "possibility
of loading large bytea in JVM with small heap", UDTs). Some of patches
was sent for official version, but topics "died". We have, as well,
different conception, then is visible in original driver - we want to
remove as much processing as possible from database, because app server
is clusterizable, and db not.

If you have some ideas or if you found bug, You may contact me or
submit data through our web side. Last time we think, about creating
complete and modern free database system for j2ee platforms.

Best regards,
Radoslaw Smogura
http://softperience.eu