Re: psql show me the : and ask user input, when running one sql file - Mailing list pgsql-general

From arden liu
Subject Re: psql show me the : and ask user input, when running one sql file
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Adrian,
When I use the following java to run the same command, which does not ask me any input.  Maybe bash and java launch another process differently.
-------------------------------------
String command = "/usr/bin/psql postgresql://" +userName + ":" + password +"@"+ host + ":" + port + "/xbrlam -f /tmp/xbrlPublicPostgresDB.ddl";
            try {
Process process = Runtime.getRuntime().exec(command);
StreamGobbler streamGobbler = new StreamGobbler(process.getInputStream(), System.out::println);
Executors.newSingleThreadExecutor().submit(streamGobbler);

int exitValue = process.waitFor();
if (exitValue == 0) {
System.out.println("XBRL-US db is ready.");
} else {
throw new RuntimeException("XBRL-US db wrong");
}
} catch (Exception e) {
throw new RuntimeException(e);
}

On Sun., Apr. 5, 2020, 12:47 p.m. Adrian Klaver, <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 4/5/20 9:46 AM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On 4/5/20 5:50 AM, arden liu wrote:
>> I am using psql to run this sql
>> file(https://github.com/Arelle/Arelle/blob/master/arelle/plugin/xbrlDB/sql/public/xbrlPublicPostgresDB.ddl)
>>
>> here is my command:
>> /usr/bin/psql postgresql://db_user:dbpassword@localhost:5432/my_db -f
>> /tmp/xbrlPublicPostgresDB.ddl
>> I do not know why it show me the : , which is asking me to input
>> something.
>> Can someone help me?
>
> Well I ran the file(basically a modified dump file) and what I found is it:
>
> 1) Hung on:
>
>   INSERT INTO industry (industry_id, industry_classification,
> industry_code, industry_description, depth, parent_id) VALUES
> RETURNING industry_id;
>
> INSERT 0 4333
>
> and
>
> INSERT INTO industry_level (industry_level_id, industry_classification,
> ancestor_id, ancestor_code, ancestor_depth, descendant_id,
> descendant_code, descendant_depth) VALUES
> RETURNING industry_level_id;
>
> INSERT 0 9326
>
> 2) It did not hang on:
>
> INSERT INTO industry_structure (industry_structure_id,
> industry_classification, depth, level_name) VALUES
> RETURNING industry_structure_id;
>
> INSERT 0 13
>
> 3) For the hung cases all the INSERTS completed, I just needed to hit
> any key to get the next INSERT statement to kick off.
>
> 4) I don't see anything wrong the statements, so I am wondering if it is
> a shell issue?

Hit Enter too soon.

5) All the other objects in the file where created.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com