How to analyze locking issues of the startup process on hot standby replica? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Maxim Boguk
Subject How to analyze locking issues of the startup process on hot standby replica?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

I analyze a strange case with the startup process on replica spend almost all time in waiting state:
"postgres: startup process   recovering 0000000100004A3E000000BF waiting"
As a result recovery seriously lagged behind master (in range of hours).

Replica have hot_standby=on and almost always have some long running (in range of minutes-ten minutes) select queries.
I expected to find some not granted locks in pg_locks on the standby server, but select * from pg_locks where not granted; show no results.

Is there any way to look into the startup process and see what it waiting for (less invasive than gdb).

PS: there are no DDL routinely run on the master (so there no need accessexclusivelock on standby to apply ddl).

​Kind Regards,
Maksym​

--
Maxim Boguk
Senior Postgresql DBA

Phone RU: +7 910 405 4718
Phone AU: +61 45 218 5678

LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/maksym-boguk/80/b99/b1b
Skype: maxim.boguk
Jabber: maxim.boguk@gmail.com

"People problems are solved with people.
If people cannot solve the problem, try technology.
People will then wish they'd listened at the first stage."