Is it possible to create row-wise indexable condition for special case... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Maxim Boguk
Subject Is it possible to create row-wise indexable condition for special case...
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

I know that for condition like   ((field1>value1) or (field1=value1 and field2>value2))  I could built index on (field1, field2) and use indexable condition like   (field1, field2) > (value1, value2).

However, I have very tricky query which requires an indexable condition like  (field1>value1) or (field1=value1 and field2<value2).
I guess that I could use index definition like ON(field1, field2 DESC) however,  I can not build query condition which would use that index effectively.

Is it possible and my mind just went black on simple task?

PS: field2 is varchar type so I couldn't using the negative values trick
build index ON(field1, (-field2))
and write something like WHERE (field1, -field2) > (value1, -value2).

--
Maxim Boguk
Senior Postgresql DBA

Phone RU: +7 910 405 4718
Phone AU: +61 45 218 5678

Skype: maxim.boguk
Jabber: maxim.boguk@gmail.com
МойКруг: http://mboguk.moikrug.ru/

"People problems are solved with people.
If people cannot solve the problem, try technology.
People will then wish they'd listened at the first stage."