Change of extension name to new name - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Haribabu Kommi
Subject Change of extension name to new name
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi All,

As we are planning to change an extension name from one name to another name because of additional features that are added into this extension, so the name is not matching, so we decided
to change the name, but it is causing problem to the already existing installations with old extension
name tries to upgrade to a new version.

9.5 + 'extension_name1' -> 9.6 + 'extension_name2' fails during pg_upgrade when it tries to load
the extension and it's object dependencies on 9.6. If we keep the same extension name then it passed.

Is there any possibility to change the extension name without causing the pg_upgrade failure with minimal changes?

I just thought of adding the support of (ALTER EXTENSION name RENAME To newname), this can be executed before executing the pg_upgrade to the new extension name that is available in the
newer version.

Is there any simpler way to change the extension name, if not any opinion about adding the syntax support to rename an extension?

Regards,
Hari Babu
Fujitsu Australia