Re: New option for pg_basebackup, to specify a different directory for pg_xlog - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Haribabu Kommi
Subject Re: New option for pg_basebackup, to specify a different directory for pg_xlog
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 12:10 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
On 1/29/14, 7:37 PM, Haribabu Kommi wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 1:17 PM, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>
>     On 11/30/13, 6:59 AM, Haribabu kommi wrote:
>     > To detect provided data and xlog directories are same or not, I
>     reused the
>     > Existing make_absolute_path() code as follows.
>
>     I note that initdb does not detect whether the data and xlog directories
>     are the same.  I think there is no point in addressing this only in
>     pg_basebackup.  If we want to forbid it, it should be done in initdb
>     foremost.
>
>  Thanks for pointing it. if the following approach is fine for
> identifying the identical directories
>  then I will do the same for initdb also.

I wouldn't bother.  It's a lot of work for little benefit.  Any mistake
a user would make can easily be fixed.

I also felt a lot of work for little benefit but as of now I am not able to find an easier solution to handle this problem.
can we handle the same later if it really requires?

--
Regards,
Hari Babu